- In the left toolbar select the Footprint/Component tool. A dialog appears.
- Find the desired footprint or component. Use the keyboard arrow keys to browse through the library.
- Click on a footprint or component to get a preview image.
Custom footprints are stored under the My Footprints branch of the footprint tree.The Pad2Pad footprint library contains a variety of entries including:
- SIP (single-in-line package);
- SOJ (single outline J-bent package)
- DIP (dual-in-line package);
- SOP (small outline package);
- QFP (quad flat package);
- LCC (leadless chip carrier);
- BGA (ball grid array);
- And many others.
Placing Footprints or Components
To place a footprint:
- On the property bar click Layers and choose Top or Bottom.
- On the left toolbar select the Footprint/Component tool. A dialog box appears.
- Select the Footprint tab or if you want to place an assembled component, use the Component tab.
- Select an item or use the Search box and click Find.
- Click Place on board.
- Press the R key to Rotate the item if needed.
- Position the mouse at the desired footprint location.
- Left click to place the item.
- Right click if no additional copies of the item are needed.
- Review the component manufacturer’s drawing of the component, noting the relevant dimensions.
- On the left toolbar select the Footprint / Component tool. A dialog appears.
- Select the Composer tab.
- Choose an appropriate footprint type.
- Enter the footprint parameters and dimensions.
- Click Place on board.
- To edit your footprint, follow “To create a custom footprint based on an existing footprint” above starting from the step 2.
- If your footprint is saved alone in a separate .pcb file, skip to step 10.
- Select your footprint and choose Edit | Copy.
- Choose File | New
- Click OK.
- Choose Edit | Select | All.
- Choose Edit | Delete.
- Choose Edit | Paste.
- Choose File | Save and enter a meaningful name for your footprint file.
- Choose File | Close.
- In the left toolbar select the Footprint / Component tool. A dialog appears.
- Select the Footprints tab and Click Add
- Select the file of your footprint.
- Enter a description for your footprint.
- Your footprint will appear under the My Footprints branch of the footprint tree.
- Edit the original footprint file.
- In the left toolbar select the Footprint / Component tool.
- Click Update
- Select the original file you edited.
- Enter a new description for your footprint and click OK.
- Select a footprint with changes to be propagated*.
- Choose Tools | Replace footprints. The command is also on the context menu.
- Replace Footprints dialog appears.
- Add footprints to be replaced to the right column.
- Click “Go“
Please make sure your footprint has not been rotated before grouping otherwise replaced footprints will appear rotated. Please don’t make changes to a footprint that is already on board when traces are connected. It’s recommended to make a copy of your footprint and then make changes to the copy. Before ungrouping the copy make sure it’s not rotated.